Friday, September 2, 2011

RD Product Review: Better`n Peanut Butter

I had a weird schedule this week (lots going on and traveling this weekend) so I didn`t cook much at all, shamefully.  Instead, I did purchase a new product that I had been wanting to try.  I strive to do this at least once a week just so that I can stay up-to-date on the latest food products, especially those with nutritional benefit claims. The one for this week was "Better`n Peanut Butter" (BNPB).  I had actually seen an advertisement for this in one of my ADA (American Dietetic Assoc.) monthly magazines and also at a food show in Birmingham, AL last year.  It caught my interest, but I`m pretty sure I passed it up at the time simply because I am the biggest JIF brand peanut butter fan you will ever meet!

Anywho, I broke up my review into 3 categories: taste, texture/consistency, nutrition.  I used these three areas to compare this product with regular peanut butter (in this case, JIF).

*Taste:  BNPB tastes slightly sweeter than regular peanut butter (although it contains less sugar per serving...weird)  I also thought it had more of a soy-like taste too it.  Overall, though, I would say it`s definitely a fair replacement in terms of taste.

*Texture/Consistency: Like natural PB, BNPB has to be kept in the fridge or it will separate.  Basically, it has a consistency that`s comparable to natural PB.  I`d also compare it to tahini paste.  This is a downside for me.  I don`t like natural PB because of the runny consistency. (Yes, I know it`s better for you but I am not a fan of peanut butter running out of my sandwich.  It should stay put!!)

*Nutrition: (values below are per 2 Tbsp serving)
  Calories- BNPB  100, JIF 190
  Protein- BNPB 4 g, JIF 7 g
  Fat- BNPB 2 g, JIF 16 g
  Saturated Fat- BNPB 0 g, JIF 3 g
  Monounsat Fat- BNPB 1 g, JIF ?
  Polyunsat Fat- BNPB 1 g, JIF ?
  Sugars- BNPB 2 g, JIF 3 g
  Carbohydrates- BNPB 13 g, JIF 7 g
  Fiber- BNPB 2 g, JIF 2 g

 
I see many positives in BNPB: no saturated fat, equal fiber, 1/3 less sugar, 40% fewer calories, and it contains MUFA/PUFA. However, it is higher in carbohydrate and lower in protein. Therefore, what purpose should it serve?  I think it is a good alternative for peanut butter if you are looking to shed some calories, but still get a good PBJ sandwich.  I haven`t tried it in any recipes, but suspect that it would also serve as a comparable replacement for regular PB.  However, some tend to use peanut butter as a main protein source in a plant-based diet.  If this is the case, I would not recommend BNPB due to the lower protein content (almost 40% less protein per serving). 

*Where can you buy this product?  http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
Buy online or find a store near you that carries it using the "store locator".  Many Super Target stores and Trader Joe`s have it. WARNING: It is twice as expensive as regular peanut butter....

*Extra note: They also carry Chocolate, Banana, and Low Sodium versions!  I have yet to try these :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment