Friday, May 18, 2012

Meals for 2! TGIF: Ground Turkey Tacos & Skinny Margaritas


I found this recipe on the Mayo Clinic website and actually made it for the first time in a cooking class I taught for the local senior center.  They loved it!  The challenge was to try to take a sodium-packed dish and  make it healthier!  I didn`t add any salt to the meat so it gets its flavor from the spices and onions.  My two additions to the recipe were black pepper (for a little kick) and plain Greek yogurt (to replace sour cream).  The yogurt is a trick I learned in undergrad from one of my professors.  We had it on a baked potato and it turned out to be a great substitute for sour cream!


Ground Turkey Tacos

2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 oz extra-lean ground turkey
1/2 c chopped onion
4 whole wheat tortillas (6" diameter)
1/4 c shredded 2% cheddar cheese
2 c shredded bibb lettuce
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 c salsa
1/2 c cilantro, chopped
1/4 c plain 0% Greek yogurt

Combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, and black pepper.  Set aside.

In a skillet over medium heat, cook turkey and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent.  Drain.

Combine meat and onions with spice mixture.  Divide evenly among the four tortillas and top with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, and cilantro.  Dollop a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt on top of each taco and serve.

Yield: 2 servings (2 tacos each)

Per serving...
Calories? 356
Protein? 30 g
Carbohydrates? 33 g (2 carb servings)
Total Fat? 13 g
Saturated Fat? 4 g
Cholesterol? 49 mg
Sodium? 425 mg
Fiber? 7 g



I chose to have margaritas to accompany these tacos for two reasons: The first being that if you have Mexican food, you have to have a margarita (or at least a Mexican beer).  The second being that margaritas are my absolute favorite!  I have tried the original Skinny Margarita which was created by Bethenny Frenkel, but didn`t care for it.  It`s too tart and harsh!  Call me a wuss, but I like to enjoy a liquor drink and I definitely did not enjoy this.  So I googled (yes, that`s a verb) "skinny margaritas" and sort of combined a few recipes.  Here`s what I came up with....



Skinny Margaritas

1.5 c Sprite Zero or Diet 7-Up
3 oz clear tequila
1 oz Triple Sec (or Grand Marnier)
2 packets Great Value margarita mix (OR if you can find the Crystal Light version, use that!)
1/4 c lime juice


Combine all the above ingredients and pour over ice.  Garnish each glass with a lime wedge.  (Skip the salt...low sodium is the way to go!)


Yield: 2 servings

Per serving...
Calories? 155 

Pictures to follow...I`m having a friend over for dinner and this is what I`m making so I`ll post after that :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment