Wednesday, May 23, 2012

SOUTHERN COMFORT! HDF: Chicken-N-Whole Wheat Dumplings

Some comfort food to get you through the rest of the week...


Chicken & Dumplings...if you`ve never had it, you are missing out.  It`s a trademark southern dish that`s not really a soup, but definitely not a casserole either.  In fact, I`m not quite sure what to call it! How about...just plain GOOD!  Where my parents are from, in North Carolina, it`s called "Chicken & Pastry".  My grandfather`s restaurant used to serve it.  The dumpling part is in the form of a pastry that tops the chicken, rather than a fluffy biscuit that sits in broth.  The latter is what I grew up eating in Tennessee.

Dumplings are tricky and can turn out a little gross if not made right.  My mom`s were almost always perfect, but I have had ones that were a total fail...gummy, sticky, doughy...ugh.  Dumplings are traditionally made with white flour, but since this is a blog that promotes health I searched long and hard to find a recipe that incorporated whole wheat flour.  I found the following one in Food & Wine magazine (my favorite magazine EVER) and the only thing that I really changed up was a few of the vegetables. (Turnips and leeks aren`t really my thing!)


(Nutritional info listed on the webpage)

Suggestion? Sprinkle with parsley for garnish!



*Sources: Food and Wine

No comments:

Post a Comment