Friday, March 23, 2012

PUB FARE! TGIF: Bread Pudding

Since this week`s theme is “Pub Fare”, I tried to think of what would be the most popular bar dessert.  I pondered all things Kahlua, bourbon, scotch, and beer-related. For TGIF (Thank Goodness I`m a Foodie) this week, I decided on a traditional bread pudding.  I like bread pudding not just for it`s yummy-ness, but also because it`s a sustainable and simple dessert.  My grandmother told me that it was one of the few desserts they had during the depression: They saved all their old bread that was too stale to eat, but too precious to toss out and made dessert with it.  This creation uses simple ingredients that are fridge and pantry staples: milk, eggs, sugar.  It doesn`t require you to go out and purchase fancy ingredients and it eliminates bread waste!  My kitchen staff at the facility where I work keeps extra muffins, loaf bread, rolls, and even some cakes and makes a fabulous holiday bread pudding out of them.  (I`m lucky to have a Kenyan chef genius as my coworker and partner in crime!)

The recipe I modified was from Cooking Light and can be found under this link: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/irish-bread-pudding-with-caramel-whiskey-sauce-10000000222953/  My version is alcohol-free (just simply because I have not kept whiskey in my pantry since college!) and lower in sugar. The sauce and bread components were also different.  I replaced french bread with 100% whole wheat  loaf bread and replaced 1% milk with skim.  Caramel intimidates me, I must admit.  I encourage you to try the sauce that is listed in the link above (although I would omit the cream cheese...that sounds unnecessary).  If you choose the wimp`s way out, try topping it with warm, low-cal pancake syrup (ex. Cary`s Sugar-Free, 1/4 c=30 calories!) or warm, sugar-free caramel topping (ex. Smucker`s Sugar Free, 2 T= 90 calories!) See what you think!...

Bread Pudding

Pam cooking spray
1/2 loaf of 100% whole wheat bread (12 oz)
1/2 c raisins
1/4 cup apple juice (no added sugar)
1 3/4 c non-fat milk
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 T vanilla
1 (12 oz) can evaporated skim milk
2 eggs, beaten
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay the bread slice by slice down on the baking sheet.
Spray with cooking spray and place in the oven for 7 minutes.  Remove from oven, turn each slice over, and spray with cooking spray.  Place back in oven for another 7 minutes.

Remove bread and let cool for 30 minutes.



Place the raisins in a bowl.  Pour apple juice over them and let soak for 10 minutes.  




While they are soaking, combine both milks, vanilla, and sugar.  In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly.  




Whisk in milk mixture.  Then add raisins and juice.  Whisk until well combined.



Spray a 9x9 glass baking dish with PAM.



 Tear bread into pieces, slice by slice.  Once all bread has been torn, layer these (roughly, not perfect) in baking dish.  

 Pour custard mixture over the bread and let sit for 5 minutes.  



 Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top, yet still moist.





Cut into square portions and serve warm with a drizzle of sauce of your choice (see above).







Per serving (1/12), not including sauce...
Calories? 185
Protein? 7 g
Saturated Fat? 0.6 g
Carbohydrates? 36 g (about 2 carb servings)
Fiber? 3 g
Sodium?194 mg
Cholesterol? 36 mg


Sources used: cookinglight.com, Frank Miyienda (the Kenyan chef genius), Sarah Caroline Fulton (my late grandmother)

No comments:

Post a Comment