Sunday, March 4, 2012

We all scream for Ice Cream! or Fro-Yo....NEW PRODUCT REVIEW


Can you believe it?? Greek FROZEN YOGURT!  It`s like a match made in heaven!

Ice cream + nutrition= a happy marriage for both a health-concious mind and keen taste buds

I found this yesterday at a Tom Thumb grocery store.  The brand is Open Nature there are 4 flavors available: Vanilla, Honey, Pineapple, Blueberry.  I tried the pineapple and thought it was quite delightful: the texture is heavy and creamy, unlike typical low-fat fro-yo...there`s just more substance to it!  The taste was good, but mild.  Not too sweet, but definitely not bland.  It actually has a cream-like taste, rather than the sourness that is characteristic of yogurt. Here is how it matches up to both regular low-fat fro yo and also double-churned (lower in fat) ice cream, 1/2 cup serving size:


  Low-Fat Fro Yo Double Churned Ice Cream Greek Fro Yo
Calories 100 110 150
Total Fat 2g 3.5g 0g
Sat Fat 1g 2g 0g
Cholesterol 20mg 10mg 5mg
Sodium 45mg 90mg 65mg
Carb 19g 18 g 21g
Protein 3g 3 g 6g
Calcium 10% 8% 15%



...Keep in mind that these are just examples and don`t hold true to every single brand, flavor, etc. The values vary depending on many factors!

I support Greek Fro-Yo 100%...you get the same satisfaction as you would when eating regular ice cream but you are also receiving a substantial amount of protein and calcium!

Ben & Jerry`s has its own version which Tom Thumb also carries, but I decided to skip this brand given that I think it to be an adversary to nutrition.  I know not how strong your own will power is, but when my eyes spot a pint of B & J`s it`s like gluttony instantly takes over. So, to avoid Seven Deadly Sin #2, I have requested that my skinny-petite-always a size 2-sister try it and let me know how it is!  

Reply back and lemme know if you try this product and like it!  I highly recommend =)

No comments:

Post a Comment