Sunday, April 22, 2012

NORTHERN NOSH! SNN: Waldorf Salad


I grew up eating Waldorf Salad in the south so naturally I assumed that it originated at some luncheon in Mississippi or something.  But much to my surprise, it doesn`t!  This side dish gets its name from the famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Manhattan and was created in the late 1800s by Oscar Tschirky.  He himself was not a chef, but rather the maitre d'hotel (a fancy name for the head waiter or host).  It has become modernized and reinvented again and again over the years, but I do believe the base ingredients for the original Waldorf Salad were mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, raisins, apples, and celery.

I think it`s important when looking for diversity in diets to not only look outside your country of origin, but also inside!  I`m a born and bred Southerner, but stepping out of the foodie box I grew up in wasn`t hard for me.  One of the cooks that I work with is from Jersey.  He calls me "Boss Lady" and I call him "Yankee". The things he grew up eating and liking are completely different from my own.  When it comes to foods, there is definitely a distinction between the North and the South, the East and the West of the USA.  However, the awesome thing about modern cuisine is that it`s okay to blend food origins and roots!  Combining dishes or adding touches of your own dietary background to a dish from another region brings unity.

The Waldorf I make uses vanilla Greek yogurt instead of sweetened mayo or sour cream, as many recipes do. I`m pretty much repulsed by mayo and try to avoid it if at all possible.  I also used red grapes, not raisins.  See if you like....

Yogurt Waldorf Salad

1 cup vanilla 0% fat Greek yogurt (Suggestion: Oikos brand)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups red seedless grapes
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 large or 2 small Granny Smith apples, cubed
2 stalks celery, chopped small

Combine yogurt and lemon juice. Pour over the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Serve cold.
Yield: 6 servings

Per serving...
Calories? 130
Servings of fruit? 0.5

Other suggestions?  Replace walnuts with pecans.  Add dried cranberries or golden raisins.  Use pears instead of apples.




Sources used: epicurious.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment